Creating sufficiently educational and interactive courses to maintain student interest is a fantastic approach to building your online presence. However, you need a robust Learning Management System or open-source LMS Tools to create and publish good high-quality courses.
Moreover, open-source learning management systems are free and can be modified to meet specific requirements. In addition, they are based on open standards, making them compatible with most ed-tech platforms. In many instances, this makes open-source LMS superior to proprietary software.
However, selecting open-source software is challenging since you must rely on user reviews and community help.
This blog post will look at the best open-source learning management tools or LMS Tools available.[lwptoc]
8 Best Open Source LMS Tools for Course Creation
Best LMS tools list: Here is the top open-source learning management software.
1. Atutor: Interactive Self-Paced learning management tool
Lets talk about the Best Free and Open Source LMS Tools for your Small Business. Atutor is a web-based, adaptable platform for creating and delivering online classes. Its feature-rich interface allows users to design courses, set up content, schedule tests and distribute assignments, and track each student’s progress. In addition, it is simple to configure and operate, facilitating the management of both content and students.
This best free Open Source and Top Learning Management Software provides a scalable platform for online education and knowledge management services. Course development, content management, discussion board, and e-portfolio modules enable businesses to create and run e-learning courses efficiently.
- Repository of content learning object
- Check for accessibility and eligibility
- Increasing community and aid
- Multiple language support
- Sections for polls, FAQs, and forums
- Course characteristics, enrolment manager, and modules
- Multiple course delivery options
- Online and offline management of courses
- Self-paced and instructor-paced modes
- Integration with third-party apps
- Customizable interface
2. Open edX: Scales Your Teaching Platform to Enterprise Level
Next in our list of the top-rated LMS Tools for Course Creation is Open edX. This open source learning management system GitHub is free, open-source software that enables faculty members and online campuses to create and publish all types of courses and content. You can record lectures, administer quizzes, grade assignments, manage course participants, and develop, distribute, and reuse educational materials. It has a significant user base and an active development team on GitHub.
Open edX Features:
- Interactive discussion boards and forums
- Live video sessions
- Cloud-based and on-premises deployment
- Advanced instructor and learning dashboard
- Real-time data analysis
- Supports 53 or more
- Multi-user authoring potential
3. Moodle: Comprehensive Learning Management Software
If we talk about the popular open LMS Tools free, Moodle open-source software integrates and streamlines the entire online teaching and learning process. From student enrollment and course development to assignment submission and report distribution, Moodle allows you to monitor student progress and make immediate modifications.
It offers a straightforward interface with comprehensive documentation that can be readily configured and customized. In addition, it includes video lectures, discussion forums, quizzes, and live chat, among its powerful features.
- Bulk Enrolment
- Cloud-based version
- Multi-Media Integration
- Group Management
- Self & peer Assessment
- Integrated Course Calendar
- Progress tracker
- Bulk Course creation and Backup
- Multilingual Interface
4. Thinkific: Online Course Building and Publishing Platform
Are you seeking the Best Free and Open Source LMS Tools in 2022? Thinkific is a premium platform for developing, managing, distributing, and monetizing online courses. This integrated learning management system permits instructors to build courses, work assignments, and tests and provide grades and incentives.
This Best Online Course Creation Software 2022 is one of the top-rated LMS Tools for Course Creation. Over a thousand-course templates are available on various subjects, including marketing, sales, and finance. Thinkific also allows users to integrate payment portals, stream live classes, and establish communication.
This free LMS for nonprofits provides statistics and performance metrics to help you enhance your courses and obtain a deeper understanding of your students.
- Completely personalized branding with e-commerce
- Secured payment method integration
- Easy drag and drop course builder
- Multiple groups and communities
- Various channels of communication, including email and live chat
- Option to embed course assignments and quizzes
- Drip scheduling to regulate course pace
- Custom discounts, promotions, and campaigns
5. Odoo: Free Learning Management Platform for Course Creation and Management
It is among the top-notch LMS Tools for business. Odoo enables coaching centers and institutes to create their web portal and manage a comprehensive e-learning system, including student attendance, registration, course creation, and administration.
Tutors can import various e-learning courses from suppliers and develop their courses. Moreover, with the odoo learning management tool, online educators can track students’ progress, evaluate them, and certify them.
odoo Mobile Learning Platform Open Source Features:
- Rapid drag and Drop Editing
- Multiple Languages Support
- Supports all types of media content
- Course Management
- Assignment Submission & Approval
- Student Attendance Tracking
- Quizzes & Test
- Integration with various Learning
- Assessment and Certification
6. Canvas: Learning Management Solution for Everyone
If we talk about the best LMS Tools and resources, Canvas Studio is a cloud-based learning platform for educators and businesses. It provides a collection of collaborative tools for developing compelling eLearning experiences. This open source LMS for business also offers a protected space for collaborative learning. Additionally, the platform provides students with rich media learning environments, interactive assessments, and adaptive learning tools.
Schools and educational institutions could manage everything from student tuition to corporate training using several products such as Canvas Studio, Canvas Catalogue, Canvas Credentials, and Canvas studio.
Canvas Learning Management Platform Features
- Author Checklist
- MCQ, Checkbox, Numeric, and open response assessment
- Self-service portal
- Batch enrolment
- Course progress bar
- Course certificates
- Notifications and alerts through push
- Course catalog segmentation
7. Forma: For Training and Upskilling Employees of an Organization
If you are looking for the famous and leading LMS Tools then Forma is a perfect choice. The Forma.lms learning management tool is a business-specific e-learning system. It can create courses and lesson sessions for training and upskilling staff. In addition, forma facilitates the establishment of training levels with numerous assessment tests, including assessment, development, delivery, and evaluation.
Companies can also plan, grade, and generate custom reports, user administration, email communication, and learner management.
Forma LMS Features
- Self-Paced learning
- Custom branding
- Responsive layout
- Automated assessment, grading, and certification
- Integrated e-commerce and management of several clients
- Interactive lessons and assessments
- Community supervisors
- Video recording and reproduction
8. Sakai: Powerful Learning and Teaching Experience
If we talk about the best and famous LMS Tools, Sakai LMS delivers a streamlined learning environment for instructors and students. By integrating quizzes, polls, test assessments, and affixing materials, faculties might develop interactive courses for students.
ALSO SEE: YouTube Vanced Alternatives
In addition to teacher and student collaboration, blogs, wikis, assessments, live chats, analytics, and a roster, Sakai offers the following features: blogs, wikis, reviews, live chats, analytics, and a roster. In addition, this open source LMS for business enables robust connection with cloud storage, libraries, and social media for a unified teaching experience.
Sakai Learning Management Platform Features
- Evaluation and grading
- Notifications, announcements, and automated emailing
- Supports podcasts, webinars, and news release
- Calendar and syllabus monitoring
- Effective administrative structure for total command
- API and Integration with Significant Platforms
- Attendance, Certification, and evaluation system.
- Extensive community and tech support
Things to Consider While Choosing an Open Source Learning Management System
Here are a few factors to consider when choosing an Open Source LMS Tools for your school or business.
Documentation: Always look for tools with significant documentation to guide you through the learning process.
User Interface: A platform with an intuitive user interface is easier to operate—the less time spent attempting to comprehend the system, the more time available for course development.
Security: The platform you choose should have robust security features to protect your data. It should even allow only authorized users to access the system.
Community Base: A vast and active community is an excellent indicator that the system is continuously expanding and enhancing.
Deployment: The system should offer different deployment methods to ensure that it meets your needs. Self-hosted and cloud deployment is the most preferred in case of Deployment.
Best Open Source LMS Tools: Editor’s Choice
Based on popularity, functionality, and user evaluations, these were some of the best Open Source LMS. Canvas and Moodle are comprehensive learning management suites that offer a variety of features and benefits, even though each learning management system has its area of specialization. Moodle and Canvas are excellent LMS Tools if you require a comprehensive course development and publication solution.
What is the best open source LMS?
The best learning management platform depends on the specific needs of your organization. However, some popular LMS Tools include Moodle, Sakai, and Blackboard.
What does open source LMS mean?
Open source LMS refers to learning management software that may be downloaded on your system, self-hosted, and customized to match your organization’s specific needs.
What is the difference between an open-source LMS and a proprietary LMS?
An open-source LMS’s source code is adjustable, and the complete software can be self-hosted, whereas a single business holds a proprietary tool, and its source code cannot be amended.
What are the benefits of open source LMS tools?
Open-source LMS Tools provide:
- The ability to adapt the platform to match your individual needs.
- The opportunity to self-host the platform.
- Access a vast user community for assistance.