Code Review Tool For Developers: In recent years, the significance of code review for developing high-performing software has been recognized. It is among the most effective means of preventing security vulnerabilities and defects from entering production. With this trend, the demand for effective code review tools has increased. This article contains a list of the top code review tools for developers.
What’s The Code Review Process?
A code review process is a systematic method for identifying potential security vulnerabilities and bugs in software code. It entails a thorough examination of the source code by one or more people with expertise in programming & software development.
Why Is Code Review Vital?
There are numerous factors why developers must conduct code reviews.
- Ensures the codebase’s quality and prevents security vulnerabilities and defects at an early stage.
- Aids in identifying program errors, potential vulnerabilities, and areas for improvement.
- Provides that the code adheres to the industry’s best practices and coding standards.
- Aids in identifying and eliminating superfluous flaws.
- Facilitates mentoring for novice programmers.
- Assists in building a knowledge base of frequent errors and vulnerabilities.
How To Perform Code Review?
There are numerous approaches to code review. Here is a summary of the three primary methods of code review.
Peer Review – In the procedure, the code is reviewed by a developer with expertise in the same programming language as the original developer. The reviewer will examine the code line by line to identify any clerical or logical errors, potential vulnerabilities, or areas for improvement.
Static Analysis – In this technique, special tools are used to study the source code for errors without executing the code. Some aspects of code review, such as checking for compliance with coding standards, can be automated using static analysis tools.
Dynamic Analysis – This technique entails executing the program and evaluating it against known inputs and outputs to determine if any defects or errors exist. Dynamic analysis can be used to find defects that static analysis alone cannot detect. It is more than a simple review and can be considered a Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC) component.
What Is a Code Review Tool?
Well, A code review tool is a software app that helps developers streamline, integrate, and automate the code review process. It has a set of static analysis tools that can be used to automate the activities associated with code review, like checking for coding standards compliance.
Why Should You Use Code Review Tools?
Using code review tools provides multiple benefits.
- Streamline the code review procedure by automating its associated duties.
- Facilitates code review integration within the software development process.
- Offers developers the ability to collaborate on code reviews.
- Brings openness & uniformity to the entire code reviewing process.
- Contributes to the optimization of the QA testing process.
- Facilitates documentation of the complete code review process.
Code Reviewing Tools Features
Top code review tool features include the following.
- Well, the capacity to organize code reviews according to multiple attributes, such as identifiers and pull requests.
- A system for informing stakeholders when a change has been made.
- A commenting system that enables stakeholders to provide feedback and recommendations.
- The tool must be capable of processing both text and binary files.
- Multiple version control systems, including SVN, Git, and Mercurial, are supported.
Best Code Review Tools
The best Code Review Tools are.
Veracode is a cutting-edge application security platform with a highly effective code reviewer module. It is extremely popular among Fintech developers because it integrates multiple security-focused features that improve application production.
- Analysis of the application’s composition.
- Static code review and analysis.
- Comprehensive security report.
- Audit of Application Control.
- Management of security standards compliance.
CodeScene is a universal code analysis tool that integrates business, individuals, and code. To reduce technical debt and ensure the utmost quality before delivery, it helps the engineering team evaluate and prioritize the entire code.
- Technical debt prioritization.
- Process for analysis that is fully automated.
- Unrestricted users.
- Version control data.
- Life cycle tool for projects.
- Prediction and detection of delivery risk.
3. Azure DevOps
Well, Microsoft’s Azure DevOps is a cloud-based code review tool. It helps developers exchange code, monitor work progress, and collaborate. Azure DevOps integrates with famous source control systems, including Git, Bitbucket, and TFVC.
- Unlimited private Git repositories hosted in the cloud.
- Advanced File Management.
- Tool for exploratory and manual testing.
- Bug and issue monitoring.
- Work item administration.
Crucible is an automated online code review tool developed by Atlassian. It helps developers streamline the code review process by establishing collaboration and transparent workflows. Crucible integrates with popular version control systems, including Git, Perforce, CVS, and Mercurial.
- Real-time communication and commentary.
- Jira integration.
- Tool for compliance and audit.
- The discussion was organized along threads.
- Report and chart capabilities.
- Activity transpires in real-time.
- Workflow automation triggers.
Gerrit is a web-based collaboration and code review tool for the Git version control system. Well, it is written in Java and uses the interface provided by Google Web Toolkit. Gerrit facilitates the code review process by allowing developers to submit modifications to the code base, which other developers can review and discuss.
- Web-based application.
- Git repositories that implement access control.
- Lightweight structure.
- Interface for the Google web Toolkit.
- Compatible with Git.
- Assisted by Eclipse.
- Multiple plugin extensions.
GitHub is a popular platform for hosting and reviewing code that enables developers to collaborate and optimize the entire process of code development. With commit history and pull requests, the entire team can trace, control, and monitor each stage of the code review process.
- Pull request for intent modification.
- View modified and previous code side by side.
- Timeline for Version History to monitor commits, pull requests, etc.
- The view option is to blame.
- Status verification and access control.
- API for protected branches.
7. Review Board
Review Board is a popular tool for codes, documents, PDFs, and images. It is a popular option among programmers because it allows them to generate thousands of reports of various varieties.
- Review that is automated.
- Git repositories that implement access control.
- Integration with all popular integrated development environments.
- Multiple extensible plugins for additional functionality.
- Priority problem corrections and early builds.
8. SmartBear Collaborator
Collaborator is among the most comprehensive code review tools, which helps developers streamline the code review process and improve code quality. It combines with popular development tools such as Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc., and offers programmers the highest degree of flexibility.
- Electronic signature and comprehensive reporting capacities.
- 11+ SCM capability.
- Integration of multiple hosting platforms.
- A forum-like threaded conversation with history monitoring.
- Workflow, checklist, and template customization.
- Version contrasts.
- Report Automation and Audit Trial.
9. Visual Expert
Well, Visual Expert is a static code analyzer that allows developers to review their code for potential security vulnerabilities, performance issues, and bugs. It supports popular programming languages such as Java and C++, among others. Visual Expert also provides a report detailing the analysis’s findings.
- Impact Analysis Software.
- A reviewer of CRUD operations.
- PL/SQL code documentation.
- Code Comparison Module.
- Change effect validator.
Rhodecode is a quick and effective open source code management system that gives developers centralized control over all shared and distributed repositories. Well, its workflow automation, team collaboration, and permission management features are extremely popular.
- Interface for unified administration.
- Remote repository replication and synchronization.
- Option for a strong text search.
- Simple Access Management.
- Visual Changelog and Graphlog.
- Support for extremely large binary files.
- Detection of security vulnerabilities.
What Are Common Code Review Approaches?
Peer review, manual review, and static code review with specialized tools are the most common approaches to code review.
How To Pick A Code Review Tool?
Developers must pick code review tools based on the code’s type, language, hosting, requirements, team size, and project budget. RhodeCode and GitHub are the most exhaustive code reviewing tools.
Why Do People Use Custom Code Review Tools?
People use custom code review tools to keep all their tools in a single place. In contrast, others find that certain tools are better adapted for particular categories of projects.
How To Improve Your Code Review Process Using Tools?
Code Review Tool allows you to save time by automating some review processes. It also enhances the code review process by efficiently identifying potential errors and issues and enhancing team communication.
What Are The Two Purposes Of Code Review?
Finding errors and improving the quality of the code are the two primary objectives of code review. Code review tools save time and increase team collaboration.
What’s Java Code Review Tools?
Java code review tools can examine codes written in the Java programming language. Popular Java code review tools include Gerrit, Collaborator, and Visual Expert.
What’s Android Code Review Tools?
Android code review tools are a type of tool that can examine Android application codes. Some popular code review utilities include DroidLink, FindBugs, and Checkstyle.
What’s Source Code Review Tools?
Source code quality is assessed with the aid of code review tools. These tools help developers identify potential errors and bugs, improve team communication, and conserve time.
What’s Automated Code Review Tools?
Automated code review tools are those that test a code by executing a set of predefined rules and inputs. RhodeCode and Crucible are examples of automated code review tools.
Consider The Following:
A variety of code review tool options are available, each with its own features and pricing structure. The appropriate tool for your organization will depend on your particular requirements and budget. However, each of the tools mentioned above is a popular option among developers and offers a variety of robust features that can help you improve the quality of your code.